APPLIES TO:Siebel Marketing - Version 184.108.40.206 SIA  and later
Information in this document applies to any platform.
When attempting to save list record, inconsistent error message shows up.
the following error occurs.
When saving using on the List Form :
"'List Name' is a required field. Please enter a value for the field.(SBL-DAT-00498)"
When saving on the Form applet :
"Please use the file selection menu to select a file.(SBL-UIF-00359).
The issue can be replicated if you follow the steps below:
1. Go to Site Map > List Management > Lists.
2. Click New on the list applet.
3. Save the record without populating any field. Error message displayed is "'List Name' is a required field. Please enter a value for the field.(SBL-DAT-00498)"
4. Click OK to close the error message. Do not undo the record.
5. Go to the bottom applet (form applet) and save again the record without populating any field. Error message displayed is "Please use the file selection menu to select a file.(SBL-UIF-00359).
Information in this document applies to any platform.
Customer has upgraded from 7.0 to 8.0. In Siebel 8.0, while trying to attach files, if the user types in the File Name, instead of selecting the file from “Add Attachments” dialog box, the following error message is displayed:
“Siebel Error Message SBL-DBC-00111: An error has occurred writing to a record. Please continue or ask your systems administrator to check your application configuration if the problem persists.”
Whereas in Siebel 7.0, if the same action is done, the following error message is displayed:
“Siebel Error Message SBL-UIF-00359: Please use the file selection menu to select a file.”
The reported behavior by the customer seems to be a new product defect in Siebel 8.0. The same behavior was reproducible Standard 8.0. with the following steps:
1. In "Service Request Attachment List Applet", creat a new record from Applet Menu.
2. Type in some characters for the "Attachment Name" column and try to save it.
3. It will the same error (SBL-DBC-00111) that the customer has mentioned.
Then, on testing in Standard 7.8, following the same steps as above, got a different error message like below, which is much more readable format for end-users:
"Siebel Error Message SBL-UIF-00359: Please use the file selection menu to select a file."
Hence the behavior reported by the customer should be a product defect in 8.0.
A new bug #- 12-1PG85NN has been logged to address this behavior. Please note that bugs will be considered and prioritized only for future releases.
As a workaround, you may consider writing a script in PreWriteRecord of the Attachment BC to generate an error message as required. For example:
Version: 220.127.116.11 
Database: Oracle 18.104.22.168
Application Server OS: Sun Solaris 8
Database Server OS: Sun Solaris 8
This document was previously published as Siebel SR 38-3276810871.
The reproted behavior was reproduced inhouse by following the below mentioned steps:
1. On the FINS List Mgmt Lists Entry Applet make a “Region” field displayed required in the List Mgmt Lists BC.
2. Compile List Mgmt Lists BC
3. Navigate to the My List Mgmt Lists View in List Mgmt.
4. Select NEW Button or CTL+N
5. From the lower form applet (FINS List Mgmt Lists Entry Applet) select SAVE RECORD (CTL+S)
You will get the incorrect error message SBL-UIF-00359. If you select CTL+S from the LIST APPLET ABOVE (List Mgmt Lists List Applet) you will get the correct message "'Region is a required Field... (SBL-DAT-00498)"
To address this issue I have logged CR “12-1IAUGW9 - FINS List Mgmt Lists Entry Applet applet displaying incorrect error message” and associated to this service request.
As a workaround, now to overcome the issue, you may follow any of the below mentioned option:
1. If your business permits, disable the Menu Item – Save in the “FINS List Mgmt Lists Entry Applet”
2. You can have your own custom Alert message in Browser Script tp display "required" error message.
Version: 7.7.2  Fin Svcs
Database: Oracle 22.214.171.124
Application Server OS: Microsoft Windows 2000 Server SP 4
Database Server OS: Microsoft Windows 2000 Server SP 4
This document was previously published as Siebel SR 38-1850892562.
"Please use the file selection menu to select a file.(SBL-UIF-00359)"
This is incorrect behaviour, as I would expect the required field message to be shown.
Also, this does not occur when using 'New File' function which produces a correct message.
The behavior described by the customer is reproducible using a standard Siebel environment version 7.7.2 SIA and the sample database. The steps are the following:
- In 'Account Attachment' BC set the 'Required' property of field 'Comment' to TRUE.
Using Siebel application:
1. In Siebel application go to Accounts > Attachments
2. Create a new record using the "New URL" button and save it:
> You will get this error that is not appropriate:
Please use the file selection menu to select a file.(SBL-UIF-00359)
3. Click the "New URL" button again or the "Query" button:
> The correct message will be displayed:
Comment is a required field. Please enter a value for the field.(SBL-DAT-00498)
The behavior is as expected when the "New File" button is used.
This behavior is not specific to 'Account Attachment' BC. It is for example also reproducible with 'Contact Attachment' BC. Note that it is the same in version 7.7 SEA.
Change Request 12-VSCWP4 has been logged to address this product defect.
'Account Attachment' BC is based on specialized class CSSBCFile and 'Account Attachment Applet' is based on specialized class CSSFrameListFile. The behavior observed cannot be changed via standard configuration or scripting.
Note that a similar issue related to BC 'Action Attachment' in version 7.5 is discussed in posting 38-896713951. Change Request 12-F2PSUK has previously been logged to address this issue that has been fixed in Siebel application version 7.7.